Join Mr. West to discuss “Raising Media Smart Kids”. Coffee will be served at 9:20AM in the cafeteria.
Dress in your favorite country western wear and bring the whole family to Sunrise Valley PTA’s Annual Fall Hoe Down on October 21 from 7:00 to 9:00 pm!
Admission tickets are $6/person or $20/family which includes line dancing, dessert buffet, games, and tons of fun! Activity tickets are $1 for face-painting, raffles, photo booth, and arts & crafts.
Tickets available at the door; use the main entrance of the school.
Teen and adult volunteers needed! Sign up now!
A family with three students at our school recently lost their father. If ever there was a time when our community should come together, it’s for situations like these. Consider supporting their family by donating through GoFundMe.
We are ALWAYS in need of and appreciate your support – food or financial – but with the long weekend coming, please consider helping out this week!
Each bag costs about $9 and we now support 18 friends, which means $162 each weekend. We need double and triple the amount of money and food during long weekends and school breaks.
We need the following single-serve items:
- protein / tuna
- applesauce / fruit cups / veggie cups
- granola bars / healthy snacks
- mac & cheese / Chef Boyardee pasta
- Ramen noodles
Please drop your food donations in the front office or go to Pay4SchoolStuff.com to make a financial contribution. Thank you for your support!
Wednesday, October 5
You can participate even if you don’t usually walk/bike to school! Meet at Barton Hill Rec Area (8:45-9:00AM) to walk or at Timberhead Lane/Glade Drive intersection (8:30AM) to bike. Regular walkers/bikers can join us too and receive a sticker at the school. We will pass out stickers to keep track how many kids are walking/biking because…
SVES is participating in the Fire Up Your Feet event and is eligible to win prize money for the school! The more kids who join in this event, the better our chances are for earning $$! Questions? Contact Steve Gurney at email@example.com.
- This is an opportunity to visit your child’s class and hear from the teacher about learning experiences, curriculum, expectations and procedures for the school year. Classrooms will open at 6:20 p.m. Session 1 will start at 6:30 p.m. and session 2 will start at 7:10 p.m. Each session will contain the same information.
- Enter through the cafeteria doors beginning at 6:00 p.m. There will be an information fair where you can learn about the PTA and other community organizations. Be sure to sign up and join the PTA!
- This is an event for parents only.
Registration for Enrichment Programs is now open for all families. Log into Pay4SchoolStuff (or create a new account) and register your child(ren) for some great programs.
Enrichment programs fill up quickly so don’t delay!
The Online Spirit Wear Store closes September 20! We have lots of new items this year. Check it out and get your kids or yourself something fun for our spirit days! GO SVES!!
Sandy, the school nurse, needs our help with hearing & vision screening for Kindergarten & 3rd graders on Friday, 9/30. Please sign up using this SignUpGenius form: Hearing & Vision Screening Support
Early Bird enrollment for the Enrichment programs begins Tuesday, September 6th!
As a benefit of joining the PTA, members have early access to register their child(ren) for enrichment activities at a reduced price. After the one week early bird window, online registration will be available to all SVES families at an additional price of $10 per activity. Registration is online at Pay4SchoolStuff.com.
The Online Spirit Wear Store is OPEN but closes September 19 at midnight! We have lots of new items this year. Check it out and get your kids or yourself something fun for our spirit days! GO SVES!!
When going in and joining the PTA this year, make sure you also go in and change your child’s grade.
You will be able to do that easily in pay4schoolstuff.com.
After you log in a list of members will show. Just click edit for each person listed.
This is important when registering them for clubs.
You can also delete any children who have moved on from SVES if you choose.
- Box Tops for Education: You can drop off clipped Box Tops in the collection box in the school foyer any time during the school year.
- Retail Sponsors: When you link your card to retailers in our community, a percentage of what you spend goes to Sunrise Valley. Signing up for these programs is a quick and easy way to support the school no cost to you! All you need to do is link your grocery store cards to SVES. To link your cards, visit the stores’ websites or stop by their customer service desk.
- Giant Food: SVES A+ Bonus Bucks code is 01986.
- Harris Teeter: SVES Together in Education program code is 5046.
- Safeway: SVES eScrip program code is 6575407.
- Office Depot: Although there is no store card you can link, whenever you shop at Office Depot, ask them to enter our school code (in a notebook at the checkout) and a portion of the sale will come to SVES.
Did you know that some schools in our area raise over 15,000 a year with these programs? Every little bit adds up.
PTA Events and Fundraising
Even before the new school year begins, the PTA gets to work hosting fun events that help build a sense of community and raise money for PTA programs. Hereis a samples of events that we have hosted in the past.
- Open House/Popsicles on the Playground: SVES hosts an open house for new and returning students every August during the week before the new school year begins. The PTA joins in on the excitement by hosting Popsicle on the Playground after students and parents have visited their new classrooms.
- Destination Dining: We partner with local restaurants a few times a year to earn a portion of the night’s receipts.
- Homecoming Parade: Students get a big kick out of joining the South Lakes High School homecoming parade.
- Fall Festival/Hoe Down: One of our most popular events, the entire school community flocks to this fun-filled night of dancing to a live DJ.
- Tribute to Veterans: Every Veterans Day, we host a tribute to the men and women who have served our country.
- Skate Night: Strap on your ice skates for an evening of ice skating at SkateQuest in Reston.
- Heritage Night: Students love the chance to show off their cultural backgrounds and teach their friends more about their ancestor’s rich traditions.
- Bingo Night: Who knew bingo was so popular with the elementary school set? This event always packs ’em in.
- Movie Night: Every winter, kids show up with sleeping bags in tow to watch a popular movie that the entire family can enjoy.
- Basketball Challenge: Head to South Lakes HS to cheer on teachers and fellow students as they take on teams from a nearby elementary school. Don’t forget your SVES Spirit Wear!
- Show What You Know: Students are invited to show off their knowledge of a favorite subject or hobby every spring – and they turn out in droves.